Access Web PVR Manager from another computer?

Nigel Taylor njtaylor at asterisk.demon.co.uk
Sun Mar 6 07:50:57 EST 2011

On 03/06/11 10:22, Alan Cowie wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Just started using get_iplayer on an old XP machine and it's working
> perfectly. Only thing I can't figure out is how to access the web PVR
> interface from the browser on another machine- is this possible?
>
> I've got a few other things being served from this machine fine so
> it's not a firewall issue.
>
> Any assistance much appreciated!
>
> Alan

Hi,

Method 1 -

the get_iplayer.cgi.cmd in c:\program files\get_iplayer contains the line

perl.exe get_iplayer.cgi --port 1935 --listen=127.0.0.1 --ffmpeg
.\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg.exe --getiplayer .\get_iplayer.cmd

This will only listen on the local loopback interface. Change to --listen= to
--listen=0.0.0.0 that should listen on all interfaces.

You should then be able to connect from a remote machine using
http://xx_ip:1935/ in your browser

Where xp_ip is the ip address of your XP machine.

There is no restrictions on who can connect.

(you may want to take out the .\pvr_manager.url from pvr_manager.cmd to stop the
startup of the browser on the XP machine).

You then need to use streaming to play the downloads, rather than the normal play.

Method 2 -

install cygwin ssh on both machines or another SSH sever/client, run the sshd
server on the xp machine, then
ssh -L 1935:127.0.0.1:1935 username at xp_ip

Then your other machine can use http://127.0.0.1:1935/ the traffic is tunneled
through the ssh connection.

This is a more secure way, a lot more work to set-up.

Your find cygwin here --
http://www.cygwin.com/

Regards

Nigel Taylor