cannot fork

Nigel Taylor njtaylor at asterisk.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 2 07:25:49 EST 2011

On 03/02/11 11:45, Craig wrote:
> Hi,
> I checked the archives for mention of fork, but found only references
> to forking the project from its origins.
> Does anyone know why I get almost daily 'failed to fork' errors when
> using the web gui and pvr?
> -R

Hi,

Guess your running Linux/Unix - failure to fork, can be for a number of reasons
a - Total number of system processes exceeded.
b - Total number of processes executed by user Id exceeded.
c - Insufficient memory/swap space

See man page on fork. It is possible to adjust the number of processes, depends
on which OS, favour of Linux/Unix.

Your running too many processes or get_iplayer is creating too many processes
for some reason. Maybe Running get_iplayer at same time as other daily tasks,
exceeds the limits.

Regards

Nigel Taylor