Can't download _any_ TV programmes even with patched script

Chris Marriott chris at chrism.demon.co.uk
Thu Jul 28 12:55:45 EDT 2011

>Hi,
>The new URL to use is :-
>http://www.bbc.co.uk/emp/revisions/18269_21576_10player.swf?revision=18269_21576
>Looks like you haven't installed the get_iplayer patch correctly go to
>here - for instructions
>https://github.com/dinkypumpkin/get_iplayer/wiki/instructions
>
>Regards
>Nigel Taylor

Thank, Nigel.

Well that was DAMNED strange.

I'd downloaded the edited script correctly and using Windows Explorer to
copy it to "C:\Program Files (x86)\get_iplayer". When I opened it in
"notepad" it showed the correct, edited, version of the script. But when it
ran it was still using the old version of the script!

I have a vague memory that when you try to amend a file in "Program Files",
Windows 7 actually makes a copy of the file to some other location, and
makes it appear to be in "Program Files" - I think that's what's going on
here.

In the end I ran my editor as "Administrator", opened the downloaded file
and saved it in the "get_iplayer" directory, and then it FINALLY "stuck" and
my downloads are now working again.

Very frustrating!

Thanks again, all.

Chris