Converting files for iTunes

Arthur Dent misc.lists at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jul 24 13:04:46 EDT 2011

Hello all,

A couple a months ago I watched the thread on AAC / M4A downloading with
a detached interest. I watch / listen to most of the stuff I download
using get_iplayer on my Fedora 14 desktop and so was not too bothered
about all the patches flying about at that time to get it working with
itunes.

Now I have a fair collection of "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue" downloads
recorded at about that time and thought it would be nice to put them on
my iPhone to listen to while I'm on holiday... Guess what?... They won't
load into iTunes...

I looked back at the threads from that time and most of the conversation
revolves around fixing get_iplayer to create files compatible with
iTunes at the time of downloading. I have a large batch of files in aac
format which of course are no longer available for download and which
are in the "don't work format".

How do I (preferably batch) convert them on my Fedora 14 system so that
they can be used with iTunes?

I saw a posting from Jon Davies with a script "fixupm4a.sh" which seemed
to be just what I am looking for. Unfortunately it seems to rely on
mp4tags (which I have found comes with libmp4v2 on Fedora) and
mp4creator which is just not available (that I can find) on Fedora.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Mark