Difficulty saving a video

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 14:19:38 EDT 2011

On 17/07/2011 21:57, Sam Kuper wrote:
> ERROR: Failed to record 'Thermal imagery in the desert - -
> (http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningzone/clips/thermal-imagery-in-the-desert/3204.html)'
> > Clearly this didn't work, despite my having provided a long set of
> fallback modes. I'm unsure how to proceed, and would welcome
> constructive suggestions!

FWIW, I was able to download this clip with a very small patch to
get_iplayer.  AFAICT, the access token for this clip is ultimately
returned with "auth=" already prepended, which get_iplayer doesn't
expect and thus duplicates, giving a bogus query string for the rtmp
URL.  This appears to be peculiar to Akamai CDN connections, but not
necessarily all of them.  As Nigel Taylor pointed out earlier, this
isn't related to iPlayer content per se, but a workaround seemed benign
enough that I could roll it into my get_iplayer fork.  Hope I don't eat
those words.

Patch is attached. Info on my fork here:

https://github.com/dinkypumpkin/get_iplayer/wiki/instructions