get_iplayer Problem under Vector Linux

Homer get_iplayer at slated.org
Sun Jan 23 08:00:50 EST 2011

Martin Sawers wrote:

> Newbie having trouble getting get_iplayer to work under Vector Linux
> (www.vectorlinux.com).
>
> I've used the instructions on this site
> (http://justbloodywork.blogspot.com/search/label/get_iplayer)

That information is out of date.

The old home page is here (first Google hit for "get_iplayer"):

http://linuxcentre.net/getiplayer

The message reads:

   "I no longer develop or maintain get_iplayer (see my reasons here).
    However it is still fully maintained by others here."

Which links to this:

http://www.infradead.org/get_iplayer/html/get_iplayer.html

And includes instructions to download get_iplayer from here:

ftp://ftp.infradead.org/pub/get_iplayer/

Or here (for the development branch):

git://git.infradead.org/get_iplayer.git

I recommend you use the development branch, because things change at the
Beeb quite often, and there have been a few recent fixes.

Also, the page you referenced recommends you use flvstreamer, but you
should actually use the latest version of rtmpdump instead (RTMPE
support).

http://rtmpdump.mplayerhq.hu/
http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=RTMPE

There also seems to (maybe) be an issue with the latest version, 0.6
(23607) or 0.6.1 (25512), of ffmpeg (muxing), so you may need to go back
to the previous version, 0.5.1 (22140). YMMV.

HTH.

--
Homer