Solution for "get_iplayer is not writable" error when doing --updateon Windows

Christopher Woods (CustomMade) christopher at custommade.org.uk
Wed Jan 19 17:56:37 EST 2011

> I have discovered why this happens and have a patch to fix it
>
> It is happening because the Windows installer installs the
> script as get_iplayer.pl not get_iplayer (no extension)
>
> (For those who are interested and don't know, the Windows
> shortcuts installed actually run a batch script called
> get_iplayer.cmd which then calls "perl.exe get_iplayer.pl %*")

Ah, so obvious when someone explains it to you ;-)

I can confirm this fixed my problem, although I already had 2.79. This is my
console output when I copied get_iplayer and tried to redownload the
programme I was after yesterday:

get_iplayer v2.79, Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Phil Lewis
  This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use
--warranty.
  This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under
certain
  conditions; use --conditions for details.

WARNING: Running the updater again to obtain plugins.
INFO: Current version is 2.79
INFO: Checking for latest version from www.infradead.org
INFO: Updating get_iplayer (from 2.79 to 2.79)
INFO: Downloaded get_iplayer
INFO: Found new plugin localfiles.plugin
INFO: Installing localfiles.plugin in
C:\Users\Christopher/.get_iplayer/plugins
INFO: Downloaded C:\Users\Christopher/.get_iplayer/plugins/localfiles.plugin
INFO: Found new plugin podcast.plugin
INFO: Installing podcast.plugin in C:\Users\Christopher/.get_iplayer/plugins
INFO: Downloaded C:\Users\Christopher/.get_iplayer/plugins/podcast.plugin

Running the same command again then successfully downloaded the programme.
Thanks for the sleuthing. :>