--whitespace causes decoding to fail under Windows

J K.Eason mail at john-eason.co.uk
Mon Jan 10 06:41:00 EST 2011

I always used to use the '--whitespace' or '-w' command line flag to
download radio programs under Windows so that I didn't need to remove the
underscores from the filenames. Something changed a couple of months ago
(possibly when the BBC dropped the iPhone file format?) because
get_iplayer now always fails after the download completes, both with
radio and TV. This happens whether I use RTMPDump or flvstreamer.

Here's a failed attempt:
C:\Program Files\get_iplayer>get_iplayer -g 11120 -w
<copyright text snipped>

Matches:
11120:  radio, I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again: Series 6 - Episode 1, BBC
7, Comedy,Entertainment,Games & Quizzes,Radio

INFO: 1 Matching Programmes
INFO: Checking existence of default version
INFO: flashaudio1,flashaudio1 modes will be tried for version default
INFO: Trying flashaudio1 mode to record radio: I'm Sorry, I'll Read That
Again: Series 6 - Episode 1
INFO: File name prefix = I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again: Series 6 -
Episode 1 b00cylbh default
RTMPDump v2.3
(c) 2010 Andrej Stepanchuk, Howard Chu, The Flvstreamer Team; license:
GPL
Connecting ...
INFO: Connected...
Starting download at: 0.000 kB
34074.048 kB / 2159.99 sec
Download complete
WARNING: Failed to stream file D:\Ulead/I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again:
Series 6 - Episode 1 b00cylbh default.partial.mp3.flv via RTMP
INFO: skipping flashaudio1 mode
INFO: Trying flashaudio1 mode to record radio: I'm Sorry, I'll Read That
Again: Series 6 - Episode 1
INFO: File name prefix = I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again: Series 6 -
Episode 1 b00cylbh default
RTMPDump v2.3
(c) 2010 Andrej Stepanchuk, Howard Chu, The Flvstreamer Team; license:
GPL
WARNING: Couldn't locate meta data!
Connecting ...
INFO: Connected...
Resuming download at: 34074.048 kB
34074.048 kB / 2159.99 sec
Download complete
WARNING: Failed to stream file D:\Ulead/I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again:
Series 6 - Episode 1 b00cylbh default.partial.mp3.flv via RTMP
INFO: skipping flashaudio1 mode
ERROR: Failed to record 'I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again: Series 6 -
Episode 1 (b00cylbh)'
and here's the successful retry without the '-w' flag:
C:\Program Files\get_iplayer>get_iplayer -g 11120 --force
[...]

MPlayer 1.0rc2-4.2.1 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor (Family: 6, Model: 6, Stepping: 2)
Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
getch2: 6 can't get number of input events  [disabling console input]

Playing
D:\Ulead/Im_Sorry_Ill_Read_That_Again_Series_6_-_Episode_1_b00cylbh_defaul
t.partial.mp3.flv.
libavformat file format detected.
[lavf] Audio stream found, -aid 0
Core dumped ;)

Exiting... (End of file)
INFO: Recorded
D:\Ulead/Im_Sorry_Ill_Read_That_Again_Series_6_-_Episode_1_b00cylbh_defaul
t.mp3