[Re: Mp3 from Radio]

Jimmy Aitken jimmy.aitken at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 10:06:41 EST 2011

I've sent my patches along.  However, you raise another possibility:  Use the '-c' flag to post process the file.  I use something similar currently to get the mp4 files converted to work with my Apple TV.

e.g.:
get_iplayer 11070 -g -c 'ffmpeg -i "<filename>" -vn -acodec libmp3lame -ac 2 -ab 128k -y "<filename>.mp3"'

would convert yesterday's "I'm sorry...." from aac to mp3 after get_iplayer has done the work.

In the above example, it's 128kbs (-ab) and 2 audio channels(-ac) , but this could be changed to be greater or lesser as required.  The "<filename>" (is the name of the file finally produced by get_iplayer.  The quotes are needed in case the filename contains spaces.  The final filename would be the name of the program, but with '.aac.mp3' as the extension rather than just '.mp3'

The disadvantage of this is that any tags that were created by get_iplayer are lost in the conversion.  The patches I submitted don't have this limitation.

Also, I've not tried this under anything other that Mac OSX.  Any Unix variant should work, but I don;t know about windows or the cgi version.

Jimmy