Programme info from PID

Christopher Woods (CustomMade) christopher at custommade.org.uk
Mon Feb 14 06:47:43 EST 2011

There is a way to retrieve full programme information, you're going about it
the wrong way though. The "--info" switch is what you need.

http://www.smallsoftware.co.uk/bbc-iplayer/using-get_iplayer/

So for example, using

get_iplayer --fields=name,episode zingzillas --info

Will show *all* metadata (lots of it!) for all available programmes matching
"zingzillas" in either the programme name or episode. What you're after are
the two metadata fields:

expiry:         2011-02-21T08:59:00Z
expiryrel:      in 6 days 21 hours

(Zulu time, cool)

So you could output the results using something like

get_iplayer --info --fields=name,episode,pid b00rzt4f > getip-metadata.txt

To output to the thusly-named text file in the get_iplayer working
directory. (NB I've just swapped out the "zingzillas" for a specific
ZingZilla episode's PID, and rearranged the order in the commandline. You
can just remove the "> getip-metadata.txt" and then copy/paste the script
changing the PID if you want to do quick searches for full metadata by pid
OR programme name OR episode name :-)

You could write a quick script that would parse the output and just show the
specific metadata fields but that's beyond the scope of this reply. Sorry if
any of this came over as condescending or stuff you already knew, hard to
gauge your level of experience with command prompt (or even which OS you're
using, I'm assuming XP or Vista as you seemed to disregard John Dargie's
Linux-centric reply)

HTH
Chris

PS - the trick with this list is to use reply-all, otherwise you respond to
just the original sender. Just the way the headers are set up on this
Mailman.