[ANN} Windows installer version 4.4 released

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 13:52:25 EDT 2011

On 30/08/2011 17:43, Chris Marriott wrote:
> Thanks for this. If I have a stable, working, 2.79 Windows installation,
> do I have a reason to upgrade? What will the new version give me?

If you like what you have, there is probably no reason at all to change.
  I would boil down the upgrades like this:

For all users:

Along with some bug fixes and improved metadata tagging, get_iplayer
2.80 incorporates new code necessary to deal with changes in stream
formats for national radio stations that came online in the spring.  It
also includes a fix required to download HD video.  If you only download
non-HD TV or regional radio programmes, you may not notice the
difference.  Because a few  of the changes were necessary for at least
some users to continue using get_iplayer, it seemed a good idea to make
a formal release and establish a new working baseline for everyone.
There has been a fair amount of traffic here about how to get patched
versions, do ad hoc updates of get_iplayer, etc.  With a new release, we
can dispense with all that and just tell those who need it: Upgrade.
But if you don't need it...

For Windows users specifically:

* New installer provides the ability to update helper application
sources without issuing a new installer package.  Hopefully, that will
make it easier to keep Windows users up to date in the future.

* Updated sources for all helper applications.  AtomicParsley source was
incompatible with installer, FFmpeg source was moribund, LAME source
dispensed broken app.  We had an partially-obsolete installation
package, so it seemed an update was in order.  Specific versions given
in the previous announcement:

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/get_iplayer/2011-August/001891.html

* Updated FFmpeg guaranteed to support current version of get_iplayer.
Old version was OK for most people, but it would never be updated, and
get_iplayer relies on FFmpeg a little more than it used to for audio
programmes.

* Updated RTMPDump that, at least anecdotally, is more robust in dealing
with resuming downloads.  RTMPDump performance is subject to a number of
variables, of course, but hopefully this will improve things a bit.

* Metadata tagging of MP4/M4A/MP3 files.  This could be patchy to
non-existent for Windows users.  Since the old installer could no longer
deliver AtomicParsley for tagging MP4/M4A, it seemed like the time to
get Windows users on par with other platforms as far as tagging is
concerned.