No specified modes

Carl Fletcher kernelbasher at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 23:22:17 EDT 2011

On 27/08/11 01:32, gary wrote:
> I found get_iplayer on the repo. Not sure why I didn't find it before.
> Anyway, I have two different "runs" with the same error. The first is
> just running the get_iplayer.pl with perl. The second is using
> get_iplayer from the opensuse repo. Same basic error.
> ======================
>
>> perl get_iplayer.pl --get 420 --output="/windows/E/video/"
>> --modes=flashvhigh
>> get_iplayer v2.79, Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Phil Lewis
>> This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use
>> --warranty.
>> This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under
>> certain
>> conditions; use --conditions for details.
>>
>> Matches:
>> 420: Newsnight - 22/08/2011, BBC Two, News,TV, default,
>>
>> INFO: 1 Matching Programmes
>> INFO: Checking existence of default version
>> INFO: No specified modes (flashvhigh) available for this programme
>> with version 'default' (try using --modes=)
>> ERROR: Failed to record 'Newsnight - 22/08/2011 (b013ytrz)'
>> linux-dn9d:/usr/local/src/getiplayer/get_iplayer-2.79 #
>>

>> Recording The Following Programmes
>>
>> BBC Channel Islands News - 26/08/2011 (b013qqqb)
>>

>> INFO Trying to stream pid using type tv
>> INFO: pid found in cache
>> Matches:
>> 35: BBC Channel Islands News - 26/08/2011, BBC One, News,TV, default,
>>
>> INFO: 1 Matching Programmes
>> INFO: Checking existence of default version
>> ERROR: Failed to get iphone URL from iplayer site
>>
>> INFO: No specified modes
>> (flashaachigh,flashaacstd,flashaudio,flashhigh,iphone,flashstd,flashnormal,realaudio,flashaaclow)
>> available for this programme with version 'default' (try using --modes=)
>> ERROR: Failed to record 'BBC Channel Islands News - 26/08/2011
>> (b013qqqb)'
>>
>> Recording complete
>>
>> get_iplayer Web PVR Manager v0.71, ©2009-2010 Phil Lewis - Licensed
>> under GPLv3
>

> On 8/26/2011 5:18 AM, Carl Fletcher wrote:
>> On 26/08/11 10:02, gary wrote:
>>> I'm a new get_iplayer user. I've tried windows and linux. It works for
>>> radio, but not video.
>>>
>>> I saw a post about a new (patched) get_iplayer.pl on the archives to get
>>> around the "no specified modes" error when downloading BBC video. I got
>>> the latest get__iplayer.pl and still have the same problem.
>>>
>>> I run it just as a command line
>>> (perl get_iplayer.pl --get 123 --options),
>>> dumping the media to file. Any idea why I get the "no specified modes?"

>> What version of Linux
>>
>> Normally it's
>>
>> get_iplayer --get 123
>> (for standard mp4)
>>
>> or
>> get_iplayer --get 123 --modes=flashvhigh
>> (for HQ mp4)
>>
>> The main Linux disros have get_iplayer in their repos

Gary

I use openSUSE and I'm an admin in the forum and help with get_iplayer
in Packman. One of my Mod team actually packages it.
Remove any trace you now have of get_iplayer in openSUSE, make sure you
have the Packman repo (Can I assume this is 11.4?). Let me give you the
commands to first see what you have:
zypper lr -d

Now, if you need to add a repo eg:
su -
zypper ar -f http://packman.inode.at/suse/openSUSE_11.4/ packman

To install get_iplayer:
su -
zypper in get_iplayer

To use it:
Open a terminal (that has been set to unlimited scrolling) and type:
get_iplayer

Wait for it to produce the program list
Download with:
get_iplayer --get 123