Sony Bravia iPlayer stream

tim lane timmy.lane at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 08:30:33 EDT 2011

Russ

On the new (2010) Sony Bravia TV's you can access a load of online
content through a service called "Sony Internet TV" (see
http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/tv-home-entertainment/sony-internet-tv). You
can also get this on Sony BD players and the PS3. Other tv
manufacturers (Samsung for example) have similar services which you
can also use to watch iPlayer.

Through this interface, you can watch 'normal' or 'high' quality
streams, and the high quality one looks (at least to my eyes) like it
is somewhere between the flashvhigh and flashhd version available
through get_iplayer. Annoyingly, you cannot get iPlayer radio through
this interface - I have to use my Wii if I want to stream this
directly to my home cinema setup in the living room.

If I understand it correctly (and I am just an end user, with
absolutely NO programming knowledge) get_iplayer can spoof the BEEB
into thinking it is any number of devices - iphone, web browser, n95
etc. Could it be made to grab the Bravia stream?

Cheers

Tim