Confused

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 20:19:49 EDT 2011

On 09/04/2011 20:49, Jon Davies wrote:
> On 9 April 2011 18:29, Steve<startrek.steve at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I dont,know,about everyone else, but Im getting confused about all these
>> different patches. Can we have some kind of version numbering system so we
>> know what we're running and what we need to address certain problems? Cos my
>> patched Dinky version still says 2.79.
>
> Yes, it can get confusing.   The 2.79 version number is used by the
> updating mechanism in get_iplayer itself, and it's only useful to
> change it if the patches have been applied to the main repository.
> (otherwise it would get *really* messy.)  It increases roughly when
> there's a *stable* update available.

I decided not to monkey around with the version string for that reason,
and because I didn't want to make any changes that couldn't be cleanly
integrated with the master repository.  I also considered just adding
text to the copyright message (get_iplayer -V) but rejected it for the
same reason.  I wouldn't expect my patched version to live long enough
outside the master repository to require a separate identity for most
users.  If that turns out not to be the case, I may have to reconsider.
We were in a slight bind this past month because the BBC made changes
that more or less broke get_iplayer for a lot of people, so I decided to
be a git librarian of sorts and make a cleanly patched version available
so people didn't have to sort out the patching for themselves.