legality

Jon Davies jon at hedgerows.org.uk
Tue Apr 5 08:00:07 EDT 2011

On 5 April 2011 12:19, Christopher Woods (CustomMade)
<christopher at custommade.org.uk>wrote:

> > As far as I am aware you are correct about non-realtime
> > content (you can watch iPlayer on demand content without a tv
> > license for example), however, I was under the impression
> > thta watching foreign live content, whether using a big
> > antenna/satellite or streamed over the internet required a TV license.
>
> This was initially thought to be the case but Article 49 of the Treaty of
> Rome (as amended) which enshrines free provision of intra-EU state services,
> including telly. [snip...]

This might be interesting, but doesn't have anything to do with the
legality of get_iplayer.  We all agree that watching BBC broadcasts,
whether over the air or over the internet, requires a TV licence, and
that "on demand" content doesn't require a licence.

The original question was about whether there's anything (in either
the BBC terms or the law) that makes *get_iplayer* illegal.

Jon