legality

Christopher Woods (CustomMade) christopher at custommade.org.uk
Tue Apr 5 06:36:19 EDT 2011

The Beeb and TVL (read: Capita) tend to interpret the Licensing law as
requiring a person to hold a licence if they own or operate equipment
capable of receiving a broadcast signal 'as it's being broadcast', this
includes timeshifted as-live programmes via media such as Internet
streaming, Freeview, Freesat etc (to accommodate various platforms' time
lags).

Therefore if TVL came round and you stupidly invited them into your home, if
you had an operable TV, VHS, DVR etc with a tuner block in it, you would
have to prove that it was physically incapable of receiving any BBC
television channel. Otherwise, they would require you to licence for the
appropriate period or face prosecution - and you would have to be VERY sharp
to beat them in County court, I imagine they've honed their court patter and
paperwork to a near artform these days. As the JPs will weigh up a case on
balance of probabilities (instead of outright 'beyond a shadow of a doubt')
your case has to be VERY convincing (and/or you require two sympathetic JPs)
in order to come out victorious.

Of course, you just don't let them into your house in the first place, they
have no purview or legally established precedent to allow entry to premises
uninvited. They can look through windows to see if a telly's showing BBC One
though! Curtains are a useful investment.