legality

Ian Stirling get_iplayer at mauve.plus.com
Tue Apr 5 06:11:11 EDT 2011

On 04/05/2011 10:00 AM, Jon Davies wrote:

> Apart from just one condition (personal use terms, 3.2.2) which
> restates some of the requirements for having a TV licence, there's
> nothing I can see in the terms which draws a distinction between 'on
> air' and 'on demand' access.  So, I conclude, that no, the BBC does
> not make any significant distinction of that sort.

It's not in the BBCs terms, it's in the law around TV licensing.
Specifically (if it's not changed in the last 4 or so years),
you need a TV license _only_ to watch the broadcast output of television
broadcaster licenced under the television broadcasters regulation rules.

You _do_not_ need a license to watch any other content. Foreign TV
you can pick up with a really big antenna, or content a licenced
broadcaster provides in non-realtime ways.