mp3 unplayable problem

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 16:43:05 EDT 2011

On 04/04/2011 15:59, MCCG wrote:
> This is what I downloaded today.. all are actually aac files (according
> to MediaInfo), with 4 calling themselves mp3
> The_Devil_in_Amber_-_Episode_1_b00tvk9s_default.*mp3*
> We_Can_Remember_It_for_You_Wholesale_-_Episode_1_b007jpky_default.*mp3
> *The_Nine_Billion_Names_of_God_-_1._The_Nine_Billion_Names_of_God_b00zzwfq_default*.mp3
>
> *Torchwood_-_Lost_Souls_b00zzwfn_default.*mp3
> *
>  From history (below), looks like they were downloaded as flashaacstd1*
> *The flashaaclow1 ones seem to come out as aac
>
> from my options:
> radiomode iphone,flashaachigh,rtmp,flashaudio,flashaacstd,flashaaclow,wma
>
> [snip]
>
> Unfortunately, I could not tell you what version I am running...
> it was 2.79, but I have applied various patches over the last few months
> (including R7->R4X today)
> I prefer aac to m4a, as I can convert them to mp3 via WinLame... and
> have no interest in tags, so have not applied any of those patches.
> but I cannot see how any of the the patches would affect the file name.
> I am a programmer by trade, (and out of work after tomorrow), so quite
> happy editing the code....

Thanks for the info.  Ironically, I downloaded all of those same
programmes earlier today, but since I was using a patched get_iplayer I
had no trouble.  I tried again using the release version of get_iplayer,
but as it turns out, the app version is not the issue, as you suspected.

Short answers:

1) Set radiomode to a single mode you know works, e.g.,
--radiomode=flashaacstd, or..

2) Add --multimode to your command line, but winnow the possible list,
to --radiomode=flashaudio,flashaacstd, in order to avoid creating a lot
of extra recordings. That way if flashaudio fails (see below), only
flashaacstd will be attempted.

Long answer:

Because of the way your mode list is specified, the first mode attempted
for those programmes is flashaudio (this applies to the OP as well).
However, the flashaudio download fails (I tested with "Devil in Amber").
  I'm not sure of what is going on upstream, but I can see that the rtmp
URL is bad (missing hostname), with rtmpdump giving the error "Problem
accessing the DNS".  Could just be a temporary problem with the CDN.
Anyway, when that download attempt fails, get_iplayer kicks over and
tries the next mode it finds (e.g., flashaacstd).  Unfortunately, it
doesn't adjust the file extension automatically in event of such an error.

This behaviour is by design.  In generate_filenames(), look for a
comment that begins "Don't override the {filename} if it is already set"
to get to the spot in the code where this is enforced.  I would think
some logic could be added to mode_ver_download_retry_loop() or
download() to check if the mode has changed between attempts and then
pass some kind of "force" flag to make sure a new filename is generated.
  I guess there is a project for your first day of unemployment, eh?
Really, no thanks are necessary :)