Choice of file format

Peter Jones peter.llewelyn.jones at gmail.com
Sat Sep 4 03:32:19 EDT 2010

I would like to have MP3 format for all files that I download from BBC radio
With the option --modes one can select the type of file for the download of
a radio program.
I have version 2.78 and I am limited to files in aac or wma using the
--modes option. However today I tried to download a Steve Wright BBC2
program
and by mistake I downloaded another BBC program and this arrived as MP3.
What decides the type of output for the file, is it the host or can I force
something on my side?

Also when trying to download a program of more than 1 hour get_iplayer stops
and this is a regular occurrence. The downloaded program file is then
something like
...default.partial.aac.flv .

Can someone explain what is happening and what I can do to force MP3
download and ensure that whole programs are downloaded.

Many thanks for your help