downloading video clips from the bbc news website

Andy Bircumshaw andy at networkned.co.uk
Thu Oct 21 20:06:11 EDT 2010

On 21 Oct 2010, at 20:07, fs ck wrote:

> I just tried the following command on the latest get_iplayer and it
> downloaded the video perfectly:
>
> get_iplayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11518501

Doesn't work for me. I thought this was due to lack of the XML::Simple
perl module (which has given me problems in the past) but I installed
that and it still doesn't work.

Could you possibly give full output so I can try to emulate your
results, please?

I get:

$ get_iplayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11518501
get_iplayer v2.78, Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Phil Lewis  This program
comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use --warranty.
   This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under
certain
   conditions; use --conditions for details.

INFO: Trying pid: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11518501 using type: tv
INFO Trying to stream pid using type tv
INFO: pid not found in tv cache
INFO: Checking existence of default version
INFO: No specified modes (flashhd,flashvhigh,flashhigh) available for
this programme with version 'default' (try using --modes=)
ERROR: Failed to record ' -  (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11518501)'
$ get_iplayer --url  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11518501 --
modes
=
phone
,flashhd
,flashvhigh
,flashhigh
,flashstd
,flashnormal
,flashlow
,n95_wifi
,flashaac,flashaachigh,flashaacstd,flashaaclow,flashaudio,realaudio,wma
get_iplayer v2.78, Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Phil Lewis
   This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use --
warranty.
   This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under
certain
   conditions; use --conditions for details.

INFO: Trying pid: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11518501 using type: tv
INFO Trying to stream pid using type tv
INFO: pid not found in tv cache
INFO: Checking existence of default version
INFO: No specified modes (flashhd,flashvhigh,flashhigh) available for
this programme with version 'default' (try using --modes=)
ERROR: Failed to record ' -  (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11518501)'
$

aB.