ITV Player

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Mon Oct 18 08:58:21 EDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-10-17 at 11:59 +0100, Angela wrote:
> >  I think get_iplayer already does too much. It'd be better to add ITV support to get_flash_videos instead.
>
> I think get_iplayer is inordinately less ambitious than postulating a
> generic get_flash_videos to work on all sites using flash. Just imagine
> the task of maintaining a generic gfv.

It's not just postulation; I'm speaking of a specific tool which already
exists: http://code.google.com/p/get-flash-videos/

No one person maintains *all* the plugins for that, but the
infrastructure is common.

> But by your comment do I understand you'd rather not be saddled with
> maintaining get_iplayer?

On a technical level, I don't really approve of get_iplayer in its
current form. I think it tries to do too much, and is too complex. I
think that building it as a plugin for gfv makes a lot of sense.

Any 'extra' features like the delayed downloads, the PVR-type stuff,
should all be done as generic features in the gfv infrastructure.

--
dwmw2