no verpids?

Magic Cheezer magic_cheezer at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 3 15:18:44 EDT 2010

did some more digging

something has changed with the behaviour of the proxy
using --proxy="prepend:http://www.docoja.com/blue/browse.php?u="

when get_iplayer starts retrieving metadata,
it will use its ua to fetch a specific page,
e.g.

INFO: Getting page http://www.docoja.com/blue/browse.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Ffeeds%2Ebbc%2Eco%2Euk%2Fiplayer%2Fepisode%2Fb00v2qyt

now it seems this is using an HTTP 302 redirect to http://www.docoja.com/blue/index.php?e=no_hotlink

Strangely, if you enter the URL in your browser, it seems to work as expected and renders the relevent BBC target page - although every now and again I see this redirect even from my browser...

I have no idea if this is a transient issue (problem?) with the proxy, or if something in the way get_iplayer constructs its ua/http requests needs to change. What is clear is that docoja is ALWAYS returning the "no_hotlink" redirect for requests from get_iplayer's perl (you can see this in Wireshark).

anybody with half a clue about this stuff have a bright idea, please reply here!!

thanks,