Looking to download the new 'HD Sound' version of the Electric Proms

Andy Bircumshaw andy at networkned.co.uk
Thu Nov 4 19:21:56 EDT 2010

On 4/11/2010, at 9:55pm, <roadcone at uk2.net> <roadcone at uk2.net> wrote:

> I use the command prompt on a Windows computer. I am able to get an aac copy - is this what you are looking for? At the command prompt, I use the command:
>
> get_iplayer 10840 --get --mode=flashaacstd
>
> If you continue to have problems and it is the aac that you want, let me know.

If you look at the first link that Matt gave you'll see a link on that page, "Find out more HD Sound":
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/electricproms/2010/hdsound/

This explains that the HD sound stream is to be 320 kbps.

I don't think get_iplayer knows how to get this 320 kbps HD sound stream:

$ get_iplayer proms --type radio
get_iplayer v2.78, Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Phil Lewis
  This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use --warranty.
  This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
  conditions; use --conditions for details.

Matches:
10845:  Electric Proms - 2010: Sir Elton John, BBC Radio 2, Music,Radio
10846:  Electric Proms - 2010: Robert Plant, BBC Radio 2, Music,Radio
10847:  Electric Proms - 2010: Neil Diamond, BBC Radio 2, Music,Radio
10848:  Electric Proms - 2010: Aftershow Party, BBC Radio 2, Music,Radio

INFO: 4 Matching Programmes
885 ~ $ get_iplayer 10846 -i | grep modesize
modesizes:      default: flashaaclow1=42MB,flashaacstd1=112MB,flashaudio1=112MB,iphone1=112MB,rtspaaclow1=42MB,rtspaacstd1=112MB,rtspaudio1=112MB,wma1=112MB
$

I'm not going to swear to it, but I think the 112meg versions are c. 122 kbps.

I would love to listen to this show at this higher quality, but it would be highly optimistic to think that I might get the work done to get_iplayer in the next 6 days (if at all).

aB.