Trying to record 'p008kh9p', Imogen Heap - Other Stage

Andy Bircumshaw andy at networkned.co.uk
Tue Jun 29 08:16:59 EDT 2010

On 28 Jun 2010, at 16:34, Energy wrote:
> ... Trying to use the current snapshot to
> download the highlights of Imogen Heap's glastonbury performance.
> Playlist: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/playlist/p008kh9m/
> Embeded: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p008kh9m
>
> I've tried every command I can think of but with no luck. It says that
> it's under the glastonbury brand, but if you list the glastonbury
> brand you get nothing that seems to be this video. If you put the pid
> p008kh9m in, it claims it's a branded pid, with no shows connected to
> it, and if you put the shows actual pid in, you get nothing.
>
> I've tried using different types, and all report back with nothing.

Ok, firstly I'd like to briefly chide you for telling us "I've tried
every command I can think of but with no luck" without actually giving
any examples and for telling us "I've tried using different types"
without explaining what "type" of what you mean.

Having said that, thank you. I appear able to reproduce the problem,
so either it's a bug or I stand to learn something.

Initially this worked just fine for me, simply using `get_iplayer --
pid p008kh9m`. See attached.

I was about to ask you WTF is a "brand" in the context of get_iplayer
when I noticed in the output "WARNING: Please download and run latest
installer or install the XML::Simple perl module to use the Series and
Brand pid parsing functionality".

After installing that, the download no longer works:

$ get_iplayer --pid p008kh9m --forceget_iplayer v2.78, Copyright (C)
2008-2010 Phil Lewis
   This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use --
warranty.
   This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under
certain
   conditions; use --conditions for details.

INFO: Brand pid detected
INFO:  Brand: '' (p008kh9m)
INFO:    Series: <None>
INFO: Please run the command again using one of the above episode PIDs
or to get all programmes add the --pid-recursive option
$ get_iplayer  --force --pid-recursive p008kh9m
get_iplayer v2.78, Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Phil Lewis
   This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use --
warranty.
   This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under
certain
   conditions; use --conditions for details.

INFO: 0 Matching Programmes
$ get_iplayer  --force --pid-recursive http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/playlist/p008kh9m/
get_iplayer v2.78, Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Phil Lewis
   This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use --
warranty.
   This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under
certain
   conditions; use --conditions for details.

INFO: Brand pid detected
INFO:  Brand: '' (p008kh9m)
INFO:    Series: <None>
$

It could very well be that I'm misunderstanding this command and using
it incorrectly. Hopefully someone will put me right, if that's the case.

I assume that this is a result of some code added since Phil's
retirement, as he certainly didn't allow dependencies upon modules
outside of Perl core when I wrote the --email functionality.

I'm using:

* dev-perl/XML-Simple
      Available versions:  2.18
      Homepage:            http://search.cpan.org/dist/XML-Simple/
(esp config files)

supplied by Gentoo's portage.

After uninstalling XML-Simple the download now works fine again.

Searching for "heap" or "glasto" does not return this programme,
either with or without XML::Simple installed. Searching for "glasto"
returns 2 TV and 71 radio programmes.

aB.

--
Andy Bircumshaw   -   Network Ned   -   Computing services, support &
solutions

Email - andy at networkned.co.uk
Phone - 0845 006 8877, 07740 337 495