downloading video clips from the bbc news website

Tony Scholl ajscholl at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 15:52:20 EST 2010

On 22 Oct 2010 at 01:06, andy wrote:

>> I just tried the following command on the latest get_iplayer and it
>> downloaded the video perfectly:
>>
>> get_iplayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11518501
>
> Doesn't work for me. I thought this was due to lack of the XML::Simple
> perl module (which has given me problems in the past) but I installed
> that and it still doesn't work.

Just found this thread after experiencing similar problems.  After updating
to latest versions of get_iplayer/rtmpdump and deleting ~/.swfinfo as
suggested, I still got the dreaded:

ERROR: RTMP_Connect0, failed to connect socket. 111 (Connection refused)

So I rather randomly tried a different port:

get_iplayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11518501  --rtmpport 443

- which seems to work a treat! (I have no idea why - YMMV.)

tony