Radio 4 recordings

Alexis Huxley alexis at dione.no-ip.org
Sun Dec 19 09:55:40 EST 2010

Hi Again,

looking at the second part first:

> > 	WARNING: Your version of flvstreamer/rtmpdump does not support SWF Verification
> > 	FLVStreamer v2.1c
> > 	(c) 2010 Andrej Stepanchuk, Howard Chu, The Flvstreamer Team; license: GPL
>
> I think this is your problem. Use rtmpdump (and `... --flvstreamer /path/to/rtmpdump`).

Ok, downloaded, compiled and applied in all commands below.

> You might like to try `get_iplayer --radiomode flashaudio`

torchio$ get_iplayer --radiomode flashaudio --flvstreamer rtmpdump --pvr xxx -o "/pub/incoming/alexis/podcasts"
get_iplayer v2.78, Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Phil Lewis
  This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use --warranty.
  This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
  conditions; use --conditions for details.

Running PVR Searches:
xxx
Matches:
13079:  Twenty Minutes - Among Animals and Plants, BBC Radio 3, Arts Culture & the Media,Factual,History,Radio

INFO: 1 Matching Programmes
INFO: Checking existence of default version
INFO: No specified modes (flashaudio) available for this programme with version 'default' (try using --modes=flashaaclow,rtspaaclow,wma)
ERROR: Failed to record 'Twenty Minutes - Among Animals and Plants (b00wfy9s)'
torchio$

> If that gives the same "No specified modes" error, then please post output following this prototype:
>
> $ get_iplayer --type radio "twenty minute" -i | grep modes
> modes:          default: flashaaclow1,flashaacstd1,flashaudio1,rtspaaclow1,rtspaacstd1,rtspaudio1,wma1
> modesizes:      default: flashaaclow1=7MB,flashaacstd1=19MB,flashaudio1=19MB,rtspaaclow1=7MB,rtspaacstd1=19MB,rtspaudio1=19MB,wma1=19MB
> $

torchio$ get_iplayer --type radio "twenty minute" -i | grep modes
modes:          default: flashaaclow1,rtspaaclow1,wma1
modesizes:      default: flashaaclow1=5MB,rtspaaclow1=5MB,wma1=7MB
torchio$

I'm not sure if my geographical location is relevent here; I'm in
Germany. I have no problem downloading stuff in WMA format which I then
convert, but, as per the original poster, I'd prefer MP3, but besides
that everything works, so it's no big inconvenience, only a small one.

> If there's a "modesizes:" entry for the type you're trying to download then get_iplayer should be able to get it. If you don't see any "modesizes:" entries then something has gone wrong, possibly at the BBC.

I wasn't sure if determining the above was to help with the no-MP3
issue, but I tried to download in the 3 formats listed above;
flashaaclow1 worked fine producing an AAC file, rtspaaclow1 failed
producing:

	torchio$ get_iplayer --radiomode rtspaaclow1 --flvstreamer rtmpdump --pvr xxx -o "/pub/incoming/alexis/podcasts"
	get_iplayer v2.78, Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Phil Lewis
	  This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use --warranty.
	  This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
	  conditions; use --conditions for details.

	Running PVR Searches:
	xxx
	Matches:
	13079:	Twenty Minutes - Among Animals and Plants, BBC Radio 3, Arts Culture & the Media,Factual,History,Radio

	INFO: 1 Matching Programmes
	INFO: Checking existence of default version
	INFO: rtspaaclow1 modes will be tried for version default
	INFO: Trying rtspaaclow1 mode to record radio: Twenty Minutes - Among Animals and Plants
	INFO: File name prefix = Twenty_Minutes_-_Among_Animals_and_Plants_b00wfy9s_default
	INFO: Recording Low Quality H.264 stream
	open3: exec of cvlc --sout file/ts:/staging/pub/incoming/alexis/podcasts/Twenty_Minutes_-_Among_Animals_and_Plants_b00wfy9s_default.partial.aac rtsp://3gp-acl.bbc.net.uk:554/radio3/secure_auth/international/RBN2_radio_3_-_friday_1935_b00wfy30_2010_12_17_22_45_51.mp4 vlc://quit failed at /home/alexis/dev/def/gipm/lib/get_iplayer line 2668
	INFO: Command exit code 255 (raw code = 65280)
	INFO: skipping rtspaaclow1 mode
	ERROR: Failed to record 'Twenty Minutes - Among Animals and Plants (b00wfy9s)'
	torchio$

which I assumed is just because I don't have VLC installed (and which
I'm happy to live without unless it is the only way to get MP3s?), and
the wma1 one also worked producing a WMA file.

> If you don't see the same modesizes as I do for the above show then refresh get_iplayer's cache (`get_iplayer --type radio --refresh`) and try again. I have a cron job running that does this every hour. This ensures that the cache never gets more than 4 hours old, and thus saves you having to wait for a refresh when running get_iplayer for a search.

I did the refresh but still my modes list is shorter than yours;
I assume this is because I am in Germany.

> > 	torchio$ ~/get_iplayer/get_iplayer --modes=flashaaclow,rtspaaclow,wma --pvr xxx -o "/pub/incoming/alexis/podcasts"
> > 	video:0kB audio:42044kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead 2.512199%
> > 	INFO: Recorded /staging/pub/incoming/alexis/podcasts/Twenty_Minutes_-_Among_Animals_and_Plants_b00wfy9s_default.aac
> >
> > 	INFO: id3 tagging aac file
> > 	New radio programme: 'Twenty Minutes - Among Animals and Plants', 'Rober Chandler introduces the work of Russian writer Andrey Platonov.'
> > 	torchio$
>
> Out of curiosity: is this the version you normally download and have been transcoding?

No, I normally run:

	get_iplayer --pvr xxx -o "/pub/incoming/alexis/podcasts"

without access to flvstreamer or rtmpdump and that downloads the
WMA, which I convert to MP3. I see if I run the same command with
flvstreamer available (x)or rmtpdmp available, then I finish up with
an AAC and that downloads the WMA versions.

> You would help me out a great deal if you're able to determine whether this file plays ok on a Mac or Windows. I would hazard that it plays fine on just about every Linux media player (although if you use speakers &/or a GUI in Linux and you've never tried double-clicking on one of get_iplayer's .aac files then I'd be grateful if you'd try that, too).

For MAC and Windows, I can get back to you tomorrow to confirm (no
MACs or Windows at home). For Linux, I'm an XFCE user using Totem and
double-clicking on the AAC files worked fine. I also tried loading
it in Rhythmbox, MPlayer XFMedia; all fine.

I'm unclear what component is responsible for producing MP3 format
though.  I originally assumed that it was the BBC making (or not
making) media available in MP3 format, but your original reply ("Have
you tried `get_iplayer --radiomode flashaudio1` ?")  has confused me
a bit :-)

You run a single command, a get_iplayer command that is, and you finish
up with MP3s? What command do you use and I'll just try that here.

Thanks for the help!

Alexis