Problem with ffmpeg or the source?

Shevek shevek at shevek.co.uk
Fri Dec 17 12:44:42 EST 2010

On 17 December 2010 16:49, Andy Bircumshaw <andy at networkned.co.uk> wrote:

> I can't help but wonder if this problem might be influenced by the Beeb posting the shows in the wrong format, or something. Or maybe I'm just trying to blame them because I'm mad about the other shows I've missed recently because they've been unavailable.

Actually, I now think it might be something the Beeb are doing...

I've just run through my archive of all series 2 of Simple Suppers
mp4s and remuxed to mov using the same params that get_iplayer uses:

for %F in (*.mp4) do "P:\Program Files
(x86)\get_iplayer\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg.exe" -i "%F" -vcodec copy -acodec
copy -f mov -y "%~nF.mov"

Using my original r25557 ffmpeg the last 2 report the brainfart
message and all are watchable

I repeated again using r26401, no brainfart messages and the first 5
are watchable but the last 2 exhibit the green/pink band and
"shadowing"

So it seems that some time between 2/12 and 8/12 (these are the dates
I downloaded the last good and first bad eps) the Beeb changed
something with their HD encoding which is causing this problem.

I haven't observed this issue with vhigh content.

Linked are the two outputs (sorry they are copies/pasted from the
cmd window - I can't figure out how to pipe a for...do loop to a text
file)

http://paje.ro/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/r25557.txt
http://paje.ro/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/r26401.txt