--before not working on films

Andy Bircumshaw andy at networkned.co.uk
Thu Dec 9 13:32:01 EST 2010

On 9/12/2010, at 12:08pm, Dan Ashby wrote:

> I recently started using the argument --before 24 to ensure that everything was at least 24 hours old before downloading. The intention of this was to give the BBC time to get HD versions up (where applicable).
>
> This works fine for everything but films. I have a pvr search that simply grabs everything in the category film. No films get downloaded unless I remove the --before 24 option. I've checked the films have been out longer than 24 hours.

This is odd. This is my default setting for all pvr downloads, including films.

So, considering that "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" is in the film category, you must be having a problem with it.

Please post the output of:

  get_iplayer --pid b00s3v0w --before 24

See example attached. I have added "--force" because this movie already downloaded a few days ago here, and "-o ." to save in the current working directory, so as not to overwrite the existing version.

Further to the previous discussion, the BBC are pretty shoddy at actually posting content. HD content is sometimes simply unavailable - either for viewing or for download - because (AFAICT) the batch video encoding job failed and the BBC doesn't bother to check.

aB.