Downloading from embedded players

Andy Bircumshaw andy at networkned.co.uk
Fri Aug 13 14:44:16 EDT 2010

On 13 Aug 2010, at 18:28, Ross James wrote:
> For the last few months I've been having trouble downloading from
> embedded
> players in webpages e.g.
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8875314.stm
>
> It used to work fine, and was something I did regularly, so I can only
> assume I'm using the wrong syntax. I've been trying many different
> commands,
> for example "get_iplayer --get --url="<url>" --modes=flashnormal"
> but I
> always get "No specified modes available for this programme", no
> matter what
> modes I specify.
>
> Could someone confirm whether this feature is still working...

I am able to get some, but not others.

"News Raider Comes Forward" works here:
get_iplayer --url "http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/london/hi/tv_and_radio/newsid_8868000/8868730.stm
" --type all

Using the same syntax, "Vodafone backs down in Android row" does not:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10940342

With the latter URL I have also tried "--
modes
=
flashaachigh,flashaacstd,iphone,flashaudio,realaudio,flashaaclow,wma".
A "--modes=any" or a "--modes=all" option would be ideal, or have "--
modes=" left blank do the same thing (perhaps it does, but I've tried
that, too).

Note that I don't have the XML::Simple perl module installed, as that
breaks other downloads here, see June's "Imogen Heap" thread. All Phil
Lewis' releases used only Perl's main / built-in modules - he wouldn't
of permitted the XML::Simple dependency. One can argue that that was a
stubborn requirement (I see both sides of this argument), but I can
only assume that the new code that uses XML::Simple has some other
hidden dependency. I meant to post about this previously &/or
separately, I think, but didn't get around to it.

aB.

--
Andy Bircumshaw   -   Network Ned   -   Computing services, support &
solutions

Email - andy at networkned.co.uk
Phone - 0845 006 8877, 07740 337 495