Quick update PPC status

Phil Knirsch pknirsch at redhat.com
Wed Jun 1 12:53:37 EDT 2011

Hi everyone.

It's been roughly a month since the last update, so i wanted to send out
a quick update of where we are.

Things have been progressing nicely and we now even have 2 mash trees
with install images for testing available for, one for ppc, the other
for ppc64:

http://ppc.koji.fedoraproject.org/mnt/koji/mash/15/

Those are our current development trees, so things might be broken at
times. Also the rpms aren't signed as we're changing stuff to fast and
this isn't a release.

We have tested them on a Power7 box as well as on an older Apple G5, but
your mileage may vary. Especially on Power5 and Power6 the problem still
exists that the unified initramfs of Anaconda is too large to fit into
the initial RAM during bootup, so you'll need to revert to the method
described in the next paragraph.

If you want to go a bit of a safer route you can try out an upgrade from
Fedora 12 to Fedora 15. Dan Horak has described how to do this in a blog
entry he wrote:

http://sharkcz.livejournal.com/8649.html

It's quite a bit of manual work, but it's pretty straight forward what
to do. So feel free to give that a shot if you want to try that way
instead of a fresh install with the mash images and trees.

As stated previously, we won't be doing an official Fedora 15 release,
it's just not ready yet. But Fedora 16 is definitely planed and
currently on track.

Current state of the work can always be found here, as usual:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/PowerPC

Thanks & regards, Phil

--
Philipp Knirsch              | Tel.:  +49-711-96437-470
Supervisor Core Services     | Fax.:  +49-711-96437-111