Booting Fedora on an old 7248

John W. Linville linville at redhat.com
Tue Oct 7 16:49:18 EDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 08:47:45PM +0200, Ingvar Hagelund wrote:

> > Anyway, if you know of a bootloader for PReP I'd like to hear about it.
>
> I think the old prep bootloader was found in the kernel tree, in
> somewhere in arch/ppc/boot/prep/misc.c and friends. It seems that it
> still exist in 2.6.26.5.

Ah, I guess I was being unclear.  I wouldn't call that a bootloader,
more of a bootwrapper -- it just takes the kernel already loaded in
memory and makes it ready to run.  By bootloader I mean something more
like yaboot or grub, something that can load your choice of kernels off
a variety of filesystems or possibly over the network by one or means.

> > I imagine that you might could implement a kexec-based loader nowadays
> > as an alternative.  Well, I'm rambling...
>
> I thought about it a few years ago, using a small kernel with that old
> prep bootloader, and then some some scripting and kexec to jumpstart the
> "real" kernel, but I never got around to get it off the droodle board.

I think this is the most realistic answer.

John
--
John W. Linville
linville at redhat.com