f7 yaboot problem on G3

Mike Hammill mike at kth.se
Sun Jun 10 11:46:43 EDT 2007

Paul Nasrat wrote:

> What exact OF version and disk setup do you have?

When I boot into OF, I get the following:
Apple PowerMac 1,1 1.1f4 BootROM built on 04/09/99 at 13:57:32
Copyright 1994-1999 Apple...
[...]
OpenFirmware 3.1.1

> Please tar up /proc/device-tree.

The information you requested is at:
http://www.pdc.kth.se/~mike/f7/
There you will find
device-tree.tar.gz   -- tar of /proc/device-tree
fstab                -- goes to the question of my disk setup
parted_dev_sda_print -- result of parted /dev/sda print
yaboot.conf          -- best generated by f7
yaboot.conf_gentoo   -- best generated by Gentoo 2007.0

One things that I didn't notice before is that Gentoo's yaboot.conf got
the correct initrd while f7 has none.  (Obviously Gentoo's hda isn't
going to work in f7's sda environment, but otherwise I think it might be
closer to correct.  I'm not sure how to compare the device= line that
Gentoo vs f7 generated, though.)

> The b&w are the earliest new-world based machines and there are a few OF
> specific quirks that exist depending on h/w and firmware.

Yes, quite right.  Still, hope springs eternal....

Thanks for taking the time to check into this.

Best regards,
/Mike Hammill