Making a boot CD - ohhhh, I'm close!

Alan McKay alan.mckay at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 14:17:43 EDT 2007

> Right now I'm burning the original FC6 CD1 to test to make sure it boots.
> Just to eliminate the possibility of problems with my G4.

OK, progress.   Sort of.
The original FC6 CD1 boots just fine in my test machine.

So I decided to try to blow-open FC6 and just repackage it without
making any changes at all.  I took the ISO on my build machine, and
mounted it loopback.  Then :

cp -a /path/to/mounted/fc6-iso /path/to/fc6-copy

Then I used the mkisofs command that was used to produce FC7, and then
burned the ISO, and it does not boot!

Here is the exact command I used with my real paths shorted to
"/path/to" for readability since they were really long :

/usr/bin/mkisofs -v -U -J -R -T -part -hfs -r -l -sysid PPC
-no-desktop -allow-multidot -chrp-boot -map
/usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/boot/mapping -magic
/usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/boot/magic -hfs-bless
/path/to/fc6-orig/ppc/mac
-V "Fedora 7 ppc DVD" -o
/path/to/fc6-orig.iso
/path/to/fc6-orig

This is all being run on an FC6 G4

What gives?
Something in the "cp -a" is boffing me?   It worked on I386

Now I'm going to try the same thing but just repackage the mounted
ISO, not the copy of it.  If that one fails then I know there is a
problem with the "cp -a" and so I'll change it to using tar commands
to accomplish the same thing and preserved permissions.

--
"Aikido has but one principle - the universal reality of life"
               - Mitsugi Saotome