Making a boot CD - ohhhh, I'm close!

Alan McKay alan.mckay at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 10:14:55 EDT 2007

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to make a bootable install CD for PPC.   We've already done
this for i386 and what we did was blow open the FC6 CD1, remove what
we don't need, add what we do need, then glue it all back together
with a magical incantation of "mkisofs".  Works great!  (We're
installing FC6 and our stuff goes on top of it)

PPC has been a really different beast as I'm sure you all know.
We're using the same approach by blowing open the FC6 CD1 but are
having trouble with the magic incantation.   I came upon this list via
google (only after some  2 or 3 hours of googling and reading,
unfortunately), and found this thread from March of this year
concerning this exact topic :

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/fedora-ppc/2007-March/000971.html

I  thought I was home free, but when I try what pnasrat suggests, I
get this error :

Uh oh, I cant find the boot image "./yaboot"!

I tried with both full and relative paths to the yaboot file.  At
first I was just pointing to the original file as it exists on the
blown-open FC6 CD1 in my filesystem. (./fc6/ppc/chrp/yaboot).  Then I
tried copying it out of there and putting it elsewhere.

Here is my current magic incantation.   Note that "fc6" is the
directory in my current working directory which contains the contents
of FC6 CD1 PPC.

mkisofs -r -J -T -V "@SOMELABLE" -A "Created on `date`"  -p "somename"
-publisher "somename" -x "lost+found" -input-charset iso8859-1 -U
-chrp-boot -l -prep-boot ./yaboot -part-hfs -hfs-bless `pwd`/fc6/ppc
-map fc6/ppc/mapping -magic fc6/ppc/magic -no-desktop -allow-multidot
-o somefile.iso fc6

Ooooohhhhh, I'm so close!   Help me Obi-wan Kenobi.   You're my only hope!

--
"Aikido has but one principle - the universal reality of life"
               - Mitsugi Saotome