FYI: libvirt / virt-install / virt-manager available on PPC in rawhide

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Sat Aug 25 22:30:56 EDT 2007

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 18:24:13 -0500
Josh Boyer <jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org> wrote:

> > I don't think there's any particular problem with qemu-system-ppc
> > per se; it's more the _firmware_ we use in it, which is a quick
> > hack which was just about sufficient to get older kernels (and AIX
> > etc.) working. These days, it isn't really sufficient. New kernels
> > expect a sane and complete device-tree, etc.
> >
> > At some point in my Copious Spare Time™ I mean to try to fix it, or
> > maybe even port the version of OpenFirmware that we're using on
> > OLPC. Spare time hasn't exactly been copious recently though :)
>
> In the meantime, David Gibson and Rob Landley have been working on
> porting PReP to arch/powerpc.  Rob is using qemu as his "platform", so
> there may be some kernels that run on it as-is soon.

I though that even with a working firmware the kernel was pretty much
hosed to run in qemu.  I could be wrong though, happy to be.  If I
could do my ppc tree testing emulated like while working remotely I'd
be a very happy hacker.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE      (jkeating.livejournal.com)
Fedora Project          (fedoraproject.org/wiki/JesseKeating)