xorg.conf (was: FC5 Dual Head Support)

Robert Allerstorfer roal at anet.at
Fri Mar 31 18:56:44 EST 2006

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006, 23:24 GMT+01 David Woodhouse wrote:

> @ on the Q key? That's a new one on me. My '@' is shift and ' as $DEITY
> intended for en_GB :)

> The € sign is AltGr-4. Actually, it looks like AltGr-Q does give me '@'.

OK, those combinations seem to be specific for UK keyboards. I have a
German keyboard in my iBook G4 - here is a photo:
http://i5.ebayimg.com/02/i/06/9e/bc/d4_1_b.JPG

As you can see, the E key is associated with € and L with @. Under
MacOS X, I have to press alt+E to get the €, while I access the € by
pressing Apple+E in FC5. However, I had to add the mentioned

Option "XkbOptions" "lv3:lwin_switch"

to the "InputDevice" Keyboard0 section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf to get
this working.

What also would be nice is to associate @ with the L key, as under
MacOS, but I haven't found out yet how to do this.

> I actually use a standard PC keyboard on the G5 -- but it's much the
> same on the PowerBook, the key which replaces AltGr is the key just to
> the left of the cursor keys; right of the right-hand Apple key.

When I press that key within the gedit text editor, the cursor moves
down, so I prefer to press the Apple key to access 3rd level
characters.

rob.