FC5 with bcm43xx support (HOWTO)

Robert Allerstorfer roal at anet.at
Sun Mar 26 20:00:12 EST 2006

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006, 13:00 GMT+01 David Woodhouse wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-03-25 at 20:21 +0100, Robert Allerstorfer wrote:

>> Is this all fine or could the message regarding
>> "bcm43xx_microcode11.fw" cause a problem?

> It's fine.

OK, thanks. I'm just wondering if all the bcm43xx_*.fw files residing
in the '/lib/firmware' directory are required, since 6 of them are
zero-byte files. Removing these empty files seems save to me, right?

>> I tried the second suggested method
>>
>> cp /usr/share/doc/bcm43xx-fwcutter-003/modprobe.bcm43xx /etc/modprobe.d
>>
>> however, after restarting, the 'bcm43xx' Module did not get loaded
>> (checked with 'lsmod').

> Robert, just add 'modprobe bcm43xx' to /etc/rc.local in the meantime :)

I am now autoloading the bcm43xx modules through
'/etc/sysconfig/modules/udev-stw.modules':

#!/bin/sh
#for i in nvram floppy parport_pc parport lp;do
 for i in nvram lp snd-powermac bcm43xx;do
        modprobe $i >/dev/null 2>&1
done

The bcm43xx device then became visible on the desktop - under
"System -> Administration -> Network" (system-config-network 1.3.30), the
"Hardware" tab now shows:
Apple Computer Inc. UniNorth 2 GMAC (Sun GEM)   Ethernet        eth0    ok
bcm43xx                                         Wireless        eth1    system

I added the "bcm43xx (eth1)" Wireless card as a new device so Network
Configuration's "Devices" tab now shows:
Profile:        Status:         Device: Nickname:       Type:
+               Inactive        eth1    eth1            Wireless
+               Active          eth0    eth0            Ethernet

iwconfig and ifconfig give the following information about eth1:
[root at localhost ~]# iwconfig eth1; ifconfig eth1
eth1      IEEE 802.11b/g  ESSID:off/any  Nickname:"Broadcom 4306"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency=2.484 GHz  Access Point: Invalid
          Bit Rate:11 Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm
          RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:11:24:96:56:EF
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:18228 (17.8 KiB)
          Interrupt:52 Base address:0x8000

Having the NetworkManager and NetworkManagerDispatcher services
running, left-clicking on the NetworkManager tray icon lets me choose
to connect to my AirPort Extreme access point which is set to accept
"WPA personal" and "WPA2 personal" connections.

After selecting the AP's SSID, the "Wireless Network Key Required"
window pops up, however the "Login to Network" button is always grayed
out, so there is no way to submit the login information (see the
attached screenshot). Am I still missing something?

Thanks a lot,
rob.