Newbie with Power Mac G5.

Brian Durant RoadTripDK at MyRealBox.Com
Sun Feb 5 06:36:53 EST 2006

On 5. feb 2006, at 0.57, Brian D. Carlstrom wrote:

> Brian Durant writes:
>> "ata1: comman 0x35 timeout, stat 0x50 host_stal 0x4
>> hda lost interrupt
>> mpic_enable_irq timeout"
>
> Do you mean:
>      ata1: command 0x35 timeout, stat 0x50 host_stal 0x4
>      hda lost interrupt
>      mpic_enable_irq timeout
> Because others reported that here:
>     http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-75145.html
> and here:
>     http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-89712.html
> so you are not alone.
>
> general google query
>     http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&c2coff=1&q=ata1
> +command+timeout+stat+mpic_enable_irq+timeout
> shows some FC4 responses as well.
>
> unforuntately none of these seems to have a clear resolution.
>
> does "uname -r" report kernel version 2.6.15-1.1830_FC4? this is the
> latest "updates" kernel.

OK, here is a blow by blow report of what happened since your last e-
mail:

1) I have now added myself as user to the /etc/sudoers list.
2) "uname -r" reports that the kernel version is 2.6.14-1.1637_FC4
3) The above kernel was the one that I booted with a "2.6.14-1.1637_F
runlevel 3" command.
4) Everything seemed fine, except that I ran a "yum update" command
and the #&@! yum program still wants to update the same programs
(119) as have been updated before.
5) I exited as root with a "/sbin/shutdown -r now" and everyhting
worked fine. No freezes, no nothing. It rebooted and I again booted
with a "2.6.14-1.1637_F runlevel 3" command.
6) I logged in as "user" and since everything worked OK last time, I
issued the command "startx". No problems there. Everything started
fine and an up2date wizard popped up that I configured. No problems
there.
7) I thought I was on a roll, so I brought up a terminal window to
check on yum again.
8) As soon as I brought the terminal up, everything froze.

During the above process, my Bluetooth keyboard has been turned off
AND the fans have been still running like crazy.

Cheers,

Brian