Failed X server start on Apple eMac FC4 installation

J.M. Brough xcode.dev at ntlworld.com
Tue Jun 21 12:41:06 EDT 2005

<** Repost to the correct list! **>

During installation of FC4 test 3 the X server failed to start and I
would have to use 'linux text' to install.  The monitor display was
stuck in one mode and xvidtune was unable to align the monitor output
correctly, losing approximately 2 cms of the screen on the right hand
side.  I was hoping that this would not be the case for FC4 when
released.

Sadly, the same problem occurs with FC4 release (The DVD version -
stentz-dvd-ppc via bit torrent from duke.edu).  Is there anything I
can do about this?  Otherwise, I am unable to use Fedora.

My system is an Apple eMac with 512Mb Ram, which has the ATI 9200
with 32Mb of VRam. Using the ATI Displays program under OSX the card
is described as follows:

Card #: 109-xxxxx-00
Card Model: ATY, RV280
Vendor ID: $1002 (4098)
ROM Name: ATY, Merlin_A
ROM#: 113-xxxxx-102
FCode Version: 1.92
NDRV Version: 1.0.1f57
VRAM Size: 32MB

Why it displays 'xxxxx' for Card# and ROM# is a mystery to me.

Anyway, has anyone successfully installed FC4 on the above type
machine without losing 2 cms of their display?  If so, would they
email the xorg config file for me to try.  It would be most
appreciated.  Using linux on the mac reminds me of using linux on the
PC about 2-3 years ago!

Cheers,

Jason.