FC4 cannot be installed on iMac G5

Ramon Rey Vicente rrey at usuarios.retecal.es
Tue Jun 14 18:11:27 EDT 2005

First thing before continuing reading:  FC4 cannot be installed on
iMac G5.  Although I asked in the list if iMac G5 were supported and
I received the answer of which "it would have to work" :), it does
not work. My intention was to have only GNU/Linux installed, so I
made a backup of the data and reboot.

I first boot appeared this message

"hvc_console: no vty associated with tty"

In the next boots of the installation dvd, dont.

The installation starts, first in text mode.  It detects and it loads
drivers of the disk controller SATA and of USB and it asks to me if I
want to verify the integrity of the disc, I skipped it and
automatically detect the video card, the mouse and the monitor and
run the graphical system of installation, Anaconda.

I choose language, I select keyboard and some error messages appeared

"The partition data region doesn´t occupy the entire partition"

"Attempt to read 16-18 outside of partition on /dev/sda"

Switching to terminal show me this

"Parted exception"

I choose "desktop" and then "automatic partitioning" (or something
similar) and select erase the existing partitions.  All good and
error messages continue appearing (nothing fatal).  When appears the
button to begin the installation and I think was the moment to make
the filesystems on the disc, appeared a message of new error, and
this it does not have return back, the installer has failed when
trying to create the partitions.

Second try. Reading the debugging messages I deduced that the
automatic partitioning uses LVM and thought a related command has
failed.  Great deception.  So I tried again until the installation
system got the moment that appeared Anaconda. The I take the terminal
and using fdisk, I deleted all the partitions and created a new
partitions profile with a Darwin bootstrap of 1 MB included. Wrote
the partitions table, I swith to Anaconda again and using the custom
installation and partitioning

Is the moment of  the package installation and... begins to
install.   Half an hour later it finishes.  It appears a message
saying that it executes post-installation command and installs the
booting manager .  Reboot and..  plonk!  Nothing.  A blinking icon
notifies to me that there is nothing to boot.  The installation
system has not worked properly again.

Whats happening?