Mac Mini Installation Issues

Hugh Caley Hugh_Caley at affymetrix.com
Fri Jul 8 14:41:37 EDT 2005

Paul Nasrat wrote:

>On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 14:55 -0700, Hugh Caley wrote:
>

>>I also had the problem with the partition error on initial install;
>>
>>"The partition data region doesn´t occupy the entire partition"
>>
>>"Attempt to read 16-18 outside of partition on /dev/sda"
>>

>>I was able to get around it by firing up fdisk and writing a new
>>partition table before doing the installation.
>>

>When you say fdisk do you mean fdisk or pdisk?
>
>If you used fdisk you'll have created msdos style partition tables.

Sure, but then I let Fedora write it's own.  Or actually, I used Disk
Druid to write the table below.

>>After that, the installation went smoothly.  However, on reboot, I only
>>get the flashing Mac "looking for a boot disk" graphic.
>>
>>Boot with cmd-option-o-f; printenv.
>>
>>boot-device /pci at f4000000/ata-6 at d/disk at 0:,\\:tbxi hd:,\\:tbxi
>>

>Can you boot of CD to rescue mode
>
>boot cd:,\\:tbxi
>linux rescue
>
>and give the output of parted /dev/hda print

Disk geometry for /dev/hda: 0.000-38154.375 megabytes

Disk label type: msdos

Minor           Start            End            Type            Filesystem            Flags

1               0.031            7.84           primary         hfs                   boot

2               7.844       	 37126.779      primary         ext3

3               37126.844        38154.375      primary         linux-swap

Information: Don't forget to update /etc/fstab, if necessary

--
Hugh Caley | Unix Systems Administrator | CIS
AFFYMETRIX, INC. | 6550 Vallejo St. Ste 100 | Emeryville, CA 94608
Tel: 510-428-8537 | Hugh_Caley at affymetrix.com