Request for Testing of Installer X Configuration on PPC

Mike Hammill mike at kth.se
Mon Jul 4 16:25:39 EDT 2005

Following up on suggestions by people in this forum, I:
(1) updated my Radeon 9200 ATI ROM to the newest available (ATI
4.5.1, ROM ATY, Bugsy_A, FCode Version 1.94, NDRV version 1.0.1f59)
(2) started using Rawhide and updating from the development tree.

The result of starting over from a local rsync of Rawhide was that I
was finally able to get LVM2 working the way I had always wanted.
(Yeah!).   Unfortunately, X is still not working.    The ATI ROM
update actually seems to have made the situation a little worse.

Details:
1. Locally rsynced Rawhide and burned the rawhide boot CD from June
18, 2005.
2. Installed system, was not able to get X to work.  Ran it this way
a few days.  (reboots did not hang, see below)
3. Updated to the newest Radeon ROM via a Mac OS X partition on the
same machine
4. Rebooted to Rawhide, but now it hangs during boot with the message:
"PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 1 of device
0001:11:02.0"   (this is in fact the address of the ATI Radeon.)
I get the same thing using the Rawhide boot CD from June 18.  I
didn't when I installed with it, however.

  The message comes directly after the penguin images appears on the
screen and is the only thing else appearing on the screen.    The
only sure fire way of getting the boot sequence not to hang at this
message every time is to use the kernel option "debug".  It appears
"video=ofonly" sometimes, but not always works, but I have yet to see
"debug" fail.  Specifically, the kernels I have had to use this
workaround against are: Kernel 2.6.11-1.1381_FC5, Fedora Core release
4 (Stentz) and Kernel 2.6.12-1.1411_F.  In the case of the latter
kernel, if I use both "video=ofonly" and "debug" it hangs at "IN from
bad port 3f9 at c01e2758".  Using only "debug" gets me beyond this.

I went back and retested the special X11 CD-ROM (Jeremy Katz).  If I
add the options "video=radeonfb" or if I instead use "video=ofonly" I
get the same result.
It detects:
ATI Radeon 9200
Studio Dsply 1
Generic 3 Button Mouse (PS/2)

then says:
X server started successfully
mini-wm: Fatal IO error 104.

However, looking the the logs I see the X server appears to have
failed on:
EE Failed to load module "glx"
(module does not exist, 0)
EE Failed to load module "record"
(module does not exist, 0)

The Rawhide boot CD from June 18 gives the above PCI resource region
error if I use video=radeonfb.  It sometimes moves forward with
video=ofonly and always makes it with debug.

For what it is worth, the Gentoo 2005.0 CD hangs with the same PCI
resource region error.  The Ubuntu LiveCD of 2005-07-04 (5.04 "Hoary
Hedgehog") not only gives no PCI error, but also gives me a nice X
screen that fills the entire display.  I also got LVM to work on the
first try with it.

In any event, my goal is to get Fedora running, so since the Ubuntu
folks can do it, I'm sure you guys can too.

Where does one report their finding with PPC Rawhide?  <https://
bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>.

If I want X, is it more advisable to go to the regular Core
release?   I don't mind living with some instability, as long as I
might eventually get X.

Best regards,
/Mike