FC3 Installation on G5 comments

Prarit Bhargava prarit at sgi.com
Thu Feb 24 13:22:15 EST 2005

Hi everyone,

I am not a subscriber so if you have any questions/comments about the
behaviour I'm seeing, please feel free to send them to prarit at sgi.com.

I've gone through Colin's steps to install FC3 on my G5 and came across
these issues.

FYI, I did an "Everything" install.

1.  yabootconfig does not seem to translate the "--initrd" option into
the /etc/yaboot.conf file.

I specified

    yabootconfig -r /dev/hda9 -b /dev/hda12 --kernel boot/vmlinuz-*
--initrd boot/initrd-*

but my /etc/yaboot.conf file did not list an "initrd=/boot/initrd-*"
option.

Workaround: edit /etc/yaboot.conf and issue ybin command.

2.  "Everything" install installs both the ppc64 kernel and the ppc32
kernel.

Workaround: delete ppc32 kernels.

3.  I had to turn off kudzu.

Kudzu was doing something for about 10 mins before I finally gave up and
CTRL-ALT-DEL'd the machine.  The system did not hang or oops.... I
haven't bothered to investigate any further.

Workaround: enter "Interactive" setup, skip Kudzu.  At system prompt,
chkconfig kudzu off.  Reboot.

4.  I had to turn off cups

Ditto.

Workaround: enter "Interactive" setup, skip cups.  At system prompt,
chkconfig cups off.  Reboot.

In the end, I have a great FC3 system :)

P.