kernel update, how?

Christian Walther cwalther at gmx.ch
Fri Feb 4 10:43:17 EST 2005

Soetji Anto wrote:

> Then I yabootconfig using the new /boot/vmlinuz-*. Upon reboot, it got
> stuck on the SELinux lines.

Don't yabootconfig. The kernel package should set yaboot.conf correctly
on install, and you can tweak it manually afterwards if it doesn't suit
you. Yabootconfig doesn't add the initrd, and booting without an initrd
causes the observed symptom (at least it did for me, if I remember
correctly).

Since I guess yabootconfig has overwritten your old yaboot.conf, the
easiest solution would probably be getting your system bootable again
somehow and then removing and re-installing the new kernel. Assuming
that yabootconfig got everything else correctly, you should only have
to add the initrd. It may be possible to specify it at the yaboot
prompt. Or boot from a rescue CD (don't know whether you can get a
shell with boot.iso?).

  -Christian