FC3 PPC development tree / installing FC3 on B&W PowerMacG3

Patrik Jonsson patrik at ucolick.org
Mon Apr 18 01:53:04 EDT 2005

Hi everyone,
I've just started trying to install fc3 on my old PowerCenterPro. I've
got the installer starting using BootX, but then I get to a similar
problem as was reported here back in november:

>but at the PowerMacG3 -- which should work with the bmac driver -- there I
>don't i cannot get the network connection to work even when i mannually
>select the driver. The automatic detection doesn't work at all.
>
>>/ > but with the bmac driver. alt Alt+F4 it says:
>/>/ > <7> divert: allocating divert_blk for eth0
>/>/ > <6> eth0: BMAC+ at 00:05:02:61:a3:51
>/>/ > so i guess anaconda could load the driver. but it doesn't go further
>/>/ > then. It just keeps me asking to select a driver...
>/>/
>/>/ Ah ok this is a bug, I've not been able to track down yet.
>/

My problem is exactly the same, except it's for the mace eth driver.
When I try to load the driver, I get:

/<7> divert: allocating divert_blk for eth0
//6> eth0: MACE at 00:05:9a:a0:51:88, chip revision 9.64

/

But the installer keeps asking for a driver.  This is with the "fixed"
installer at ftp://ftp.uk.linux.org/pub/linux/fedora-ppc/fc3-ppc/, so I
was hoping it would work. Was it fixed only for the bmac driver?

So my net install is dead in the water at that point. Another problem is
that the onboard scsi (53c94) isn't recognized. I have to hook my drives
up to the aic7xxx card for the installer to see them. Any ideas about
this? This isn't necessarily a huge problem since I can hook the drives
up to the card during the install, assuming I can get 53c94 to work for
the actual OS.

Finally, there are weird video artifacts in the installer, like garbled
columns going down the screen. In these columns, pixels are flickering
rapidly and seem to be a copy of the column 5 chars to the right... I've
seen some emails about this being broken somewhere in the 2.6 kernels,
but no solution. I then tried to boot using my voodoo3 card using
"video=tdfx", but then I don't get past the first "pmac_init" screen.
Any ideas here? Does the installer kernel simply lack drivers for tdfx
and 53c94?

Any hints would be much appreciated.

/Patrik Jonsson