How can I convert my debian machine to Fedora?

Ken Young rtm at cfa.harvard.edu
Mon Apr 25 20:38:34 EDT 2005

Hi,

   I'm trying to get Fedora running on an MVME 2700 single board computer.
This little board has a 750 PowerPC processor.   I've got Debian 3.1
running happily atop the 2.6.11.7 kernel.   It runs like a champ, but I'd
like to try running Fedora instead of Debian.   This single board computer
(we've actually got ~35 of them) has no CDROM drive, and I had to do
quite a bit of horsing around with the kernel configuration to get it
to boot anyway (via NFS), so there's no way for me to just boot off of the
iso image CDROMs and install Fedora normally.   Is there any way I can
install from the CDROM images (which, of course, I can mount
with the "-o loop" option) without booting from the CDROMs?   Is
there a script somewhere that will install a minimal set of RPMs
somewhere in my files system, so that I can later mount that area as root?
Is there any way to do a network install without first booting off a
CDROM?

Thanks for any info!

                                             Ken Young
                                Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory
                                      60 Garden Street, MS 78
Phoney Dolson has a secret name.      Cambridge, MA 02138 USA
                                          (617) 495-7330
                                       kyoung at cfa.harvard.edu