FC3 PPC development tree / installing FC3 on B&W PowerMacG3

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Fri Nov 26 04:23:45 EST 2004

On 11/26/2004 12:13:45 AM, Colin Charles wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 07:00 +0000, Michael A. Peters wrote:
>
> Please follow-up to fedora-ppc at lists.infradead.org
>
> > Not using dhcp - using a static IP on my lan.
> > Network init script says it was starting, but eth0 was never
> brought
>
> > up.
>
> Later, when the computer starts, if ifup eth0 doesn't work, can you
> bring the interface up manually using ifconfig ?

I tried (from within /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts) ./ifup eth0 and
that did not work.

> > It's possible that the network (ifcfg-eth0) setting set up by YDL
> were
> > not sufficient for FC - I tried manually adjusting ifcfg-eth0 to
> look
> > similar to the ifcfg-eth0 on an x86 FC3 box, but that didn't work -
>
> > even when I tried modprobing various modules I thought might be
>
> Why did you install YDL to bootstrap fedora? Fedora itself installs
> fine

No, it didn't. Not with the boot.iso for fc2 or fc3t2
The boot.iso would get stuck asking what network driver it should use,
it would never get beyond that. I've seen at least one other iMac
report that issue in the ppc archives.

> What kernel is this?

It's the kernel that was in FC3T2
I'll have to set the iMac up again to get you more info - such as lspci
output.

> > I tried modprobing mace, sungem, a few others that looked
> reasonable
> (I
> > believe mace is the correct one) - but the installed kernel is kind
> of
>
> sungem is the correct one. What iMac exactly do you have? We would
> appreciate lspci output

It's a tray loading iMac, Bondi Blue with Rev B. motherboard

> Hmm, post lscpi in your next post (only to fedora-ppc list). What
> does /proc/cpuinfo report ? (this is just for my curiosity)

This I actually have - though it was taken from YDL 3.0

cpu             : 7400, altivec supported
temperature     : 58-60 C (uncalibrated)
clock           : 433MHz
revision        : 2.9 (pvr 000c 0209)
bogomips        : 865.07
machine         : iMac,1
motherboard     : iMac MacRISC Power Macintosh
detected as     : 65 (iMac (first generation))
pmac flags      : 00000000
memory          : 192MB
pmac-generation : NewWorld

I'll set the iMac back up this weekend and get the lspci etc.