FC3 PPC development tree / installing FC3 on B&W PowerMacG3

Markus Nicolussi mcwimpy at gmx.at
Mon Nov 8 05:49:05 EST 2004

Hei paul! hei everybody!

> >...and burned boot.iso from the dir "mac". The boot cd booted but it
> > found no network device.
>
> This can happen as the device isn't visible in PCI without being active
> IIRC.
>
> If you manually select sungem from the driver list does it work?

sungem is not the prob. automatic detection works on the ibook (built 2001),
i can have a network connection there. It finds my nfs tree and loades stage
2 but then suddenly doesn't go further.

but at the PowerMacG3 -- which should work with the bmac driver -- there I
don't i cannot get the network connection to work even when i mannually
select the driver. The automatic detection doesn't work at all.

> > but with the bmac driver. alt Alt+F4 it says:
> > <7> divert: allocating divert_blk for eth0
> > <6> eth0: BMAC+ at 00:05:02:61:a3:51
> > so i guess anaconda could load the driver. but it doesn't go further
> > then. It just keeps me asking to select a driver...
>
> Ah ok this is a bug, I've not been able to track down yet.

Can i SOMEHOW help you to find this crazy bug??? you see i'd do nearly
EVERYTHING to get FC3 running on this mac. (It would be like heaven for the
jouth house i want to do it... !!!) but i am no programmer. i mean i was,
but only on windows and that's jears ago. but i have still have some basic
understanding... Si if thetre is anything i can do PLEASE TELL ME!!!

> > If i burn the  FC3 PPC development tree on an DVD, boot with a CD and
> > select
> > "CD-ROM" as Installation method, anaconda tells me that it didn't find >
> a FC CD that fits to my boot CD. That's allready a bit more than i got
> > with my
> > first try (DVD without ".disc-info", without "SRPMS" and named other
> > than "FC-3 ppc"). There it said that it didn'T find a FC CD. my second
> > DVD should be OK, the only dir that didn't fit onto the dvd
> > was "debug" but i read in the howto, that i don't need it. so what's
> > wrong?
>
> This happens if the .discinfo timestamp does not match the stage 2
> image - are you sure it's from the same tree - the boot.iso needs to
> match the stage2.

No, i guess the tree is under steady development, they change something
nearly every day. I tried to be up-to-date by comparing all the directories
with my ftp-prog (gFTP) but maybe something went wrong. I will do a complete
new download all in one day...

> Mac is not a "supported" release yet - so you'll have to be prepared to
> take the rough with the smooth.
Any idea when fedora will have the ressources to make ppc an offical releas?
I mean, if there are to less people: I could participate by testing...

thankx so far and
ciao, nico.

ps. at the moment i am in the czech republik. this is 1000 km far away from
the macs i spoke of. but in 2 weeks i will be there again (in austria) and
then i will work a lot on this topic. so please be patient for 2 weeks.

GMX DSL-Netzanschluss + Tarif zum supergünstigen Komplett-Preis!