FC3 PPC development tree / installing FC3 on B&W PowerMacG3

Markus Nicolussi mcwimpy at gmx.at
Fri Nov 5 06:12:57 EST 2004

Hello!

i sucked the ppc-devel-tree to my hd, set up a NFS server for the downloaded
files and burned boot.iso from the dir "mac". The boot cd booted but it
found no network device.

all i know i took from the HOWTO at
http://www.bytebot.net/geekdocs/ibook/fedorappc.html
I couldn't by all efforts find more about this topic in the net...

If i burn the  FC3 PPC development tree on an DVD, boot with a CD and select
"CD-ROM" as Installation method, anaconda tells me that it didn't find a FC
CD that fits to my boot CD. That's allready a bit more than i got with my
first try (DVD without ".disc-info", without "SRPMS" and named other than
"FC-3 ppc"). There it said that it didn'T find a FC CD. my second DVD should
be OK, the only dir that didn't fit onto the dvd was "debug" but i read in
the howto, that i don't need
it. so what's wrong?

I also tried to get help at another maillist:
> On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 14:59 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
>
> I've seen anaconda happily load the sungem driver, then fail to notice
> that there's now an eth0 and demand that you specify a network driver to
> load. Helpfully it notices that sungem is already loaded though, so it
> removes that from the list of options :)
That's what happens to me if i try to install on the PowerMacG3 (350MHz),
but with the bmac driver. alt Alt+F4 it says:
<7> divert: allocating divert_blk for eth0
<6> eth0: BMAC+ at 00:05:02:61:a3:51
so i guess anaconda could load the driver. but it doesn't go further then.
It just keeps me asking to select a driver...

Does anybody have experience with this topic and could give me a hint? Or
can anybody tell me what to do or where it's documented how i can install
FC-3 on Macs? I have a PowerMac G3 (350MHz) and it's really important that i
install fedora there...

Thanks in advance

caio, nico.

GMX DSL-Netzanschluss + Tarif zum supergünstigen Komplett-Preis!