Imx-usb-loader broken on IMX8MP/v2022.09.0

Hans Christian Lønstad hcl at datarespons.no
Sat Sep 17 05:04:51 PDT 2022

This is observed using straight out of the box v2022.09.0 on NXP IMX8MP Eval kit:

---------

$ sudo ../drimx8/scripts/imx/imx-usb-loader ../drimx8/images/barebox-nxp-imx8mp-evk.img
[sudo] password for hcl:
found i.MX8MP USB device [1fc9:0146]
4 in err=-9, last_trans=0  00 00 00 00
status failed

————

Stripping off the header gap (32K) allows the binary to load using the standard NXP uuu (Ubuntu 22.04) utility,.

This further raises the question: Why have a header gap at all?

The makes sense for SD card loading, but not for eMMC boot partitions where ROM expects code to start at 0.
Maybe better just use a seek to put the code at the relevant position on the SD card?

For instance, I am using the Rauc boot loader slot update mechanism expecting no gap thus  requiring me to shave of 32k
prior to shipping.

Comments??

Hans Christian